Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Photostory Friday ~ Marbeling

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


A few weeks ago Bug and I went to visit my dad. After loving on the brand new baby goats, mydad, Bug and I went over to watch my dad's friend Marjorie work.
She creates marbled fabric and sells it to other crafts people. They in turn make beautiful things from the fabric. The process of making this fabric is long and I won't go into specifics because, well I don't remember all of the technicalities!
What I do know is that is was fascinating to watch. Bug who has a short attention span watched for about two hours in a cold cramped studio as Marjorie worked her magic.




Bug was entranced....




Marjorie put row after row of dye onto the special slimy liquid.



Then she used a "comb" to smooth out the lines.




Then she used a "rake" in the opposite direction.







Once the pattern is the way she wants it she lays the fabric into the solution.




When the fabric is lifted the die is adhered to it.






She makes multiple patterns and stores every on in her head.












It's was so fun and very inspiring to watch an artist at work. It reminds me that I need to find my bliss!

12 comments:

tiarastantrums said...

that is so amazing!!!!!

Cecily R said...

Im with Bug...I would have been rivited!! That is just stunning work!!

ELK said...

really amazing story with nice photos to go along with it

Wayne said...

that is so awsome and it must take quite some practice to get it right.

thankyou for sharing those wonderful pictures

great photo friday

Unknown said...

Wow, that is amazing and great shots of her work. I like to see that their are still crafts people out there like this and that not everything is just made by a machine only.

Corey~living and loving said...

hey girl. I'm here from my reader. :) it was there.

and oh my word...I want to come see this. how cool. does she get only one fabric print from each set up at a time? I need to know more. how cool. I love the blue pattern.

Great shots...and wonderful story.

have a great weekend.

Michelle said...

What a treat to watch that process. I saw that technique on TV one time I wanted to give it a try. It looks like so much fun.

Great job with the photos!

Chris said...

That is gorgeous! Do you know what this story reminds me of? Those little "field trips" that Mr. Rogers used to go on.

said...

Terrific photo story!

monstergirlee said...

That is soo cool! The photos are wonderful - really tell so much of the story too.

Michele said...

Super cool! I was really intrigued by this... how neat is this??!!?
I have never seen anything like that!

Hugs♥
Mountain Retreat Photos

Ginny P said...

I feel educated! How very cool it must've been to watch this process in action? Wow... end products were amazing!