Monday, September 8, 2008

My crappy morning

For days I have explained the new school routine to Bug. Knowing that change in routine could cause a meltdown of disastrous proportions; I try to ease the pain by talking about it a lot.
This week we had to change the school routine by having Bug eat breakfast at school.
This means we leave the house earlier in order for me to get back home to start work on time.
We pulled into school a few minutes before they opened the doors.
As soon as I turned off the car Bug said " We have to go back home now"
I responded with "What? Why?"
Bug said " I have to poop, we have to go home."
I stammered " Are you sure? Can't you just go here at school?"
Bug shaking his head.. "Noooo mom I have to go home!"
Many options are racing through my head at this point.
Be firm and make him march in there and poop in the school bathroom.
Race home and be late to start work, but it would be OK because I would just work late tonight.
Then I thought, if I do that I am just giving in to him. He needs to get over this phobia!
Then I thought of my little boy, crying and holding in his poop because he refused to go. Only to have an accident later in the day... at school.
I turned the car back on and drove home.
10 miles round trip and we were back at school. Everything was OK until we reached his classroom. His teacher told us that every Monday the kids all start out in the gym.
As I walked him down to the gym he started to tear up. I tried to get his mind off of the sudden change, " Oh I don't know where the gym is, can you show me Bug?"
He took one look in the gym, with the chaos of kids yelling and playing. He grabbed onto me and burst into tears. He would not let me go.
I stood there trying to figure out what to do. Finally I peaked back into the gym and saw a friend of his that goes to his daycare. He was there with his mom.
Hallelujah!!!
We made our way over and when Bug saw his friend there he stopped crying. Still upset but not as bad, he gave me a hug, told me goodbye and let me go.
I got in my car and cried the whole way home.
God I hope tomorrow is better.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Awww... tough times... I can only imagine how hard this must be for you and for Bug...
Big {{Hugs}} I know the adjustment will happen, I just hope it happens soon.
~Michele~

Corey~living and loving said...

oh no.....:( I'm so sorry Autumn. I do hope it gets better. I hope that bug finds his confidence, and you can drive home tear free. HUGS. call me if you need to talk.

Julie B said...

so so tough! I really hope it's gone better for you today. Change is so hard on some.
(I commend you on turning around and going home for Bug to poop! A tough choice, but I think you handled that with is best interest in mind)

Anonymous said...

That sounds very familiar...my four year old has had a hard time adjusting to her new preschool at the local elementary.

Each day will get better and better :)