Monday, March 10, 2008

Our trip to the Coast Part 1

Before I start about our coast trip I just want to say thanks to everyone for their good thoughts. I hate putting things out there that I can't discuss, but it isn't my story so it isn't my place to discuss it here. All I can say is that someone I love very much is in a fight for their life. Luckily my family is very positive and we are surrounding her with our love and support.

As we headed out of town Friday we knew that there was a limited amount of time before the weather turned. The sky was clear as we left our driveway but by the time we passed over the hills and through the tunnel we could see storm clouds brewing on the horizon.
We were not deterred. We were determined to make the best of it. We pulled the RV into a camping spot at the state park and just as we got everything set up, it began to rain. Not just any rain, it began to pour.
Still optimistic we jumped into the Jeep and headed to town. On the way we drove down to the beach. There wasn't a soul in sight as my husband got out to attach the flag to the Jeep. For those that don't know, you have to have a flag when driving onto the sand so that other drivers can see you coming.
We assessed the dune in front of us and the likely hood of making it over without airing down our tires. The husband made a run for it and we bounced our way up and over the top. I quickly realized as we descended the beach side that it was much steeper and longer than the side we had just come up. I didn't say a word, I didn't want to sound to whiny and pessimistic.
The beach was deserted except for some hearty little birds that scurried along the sand and took to the wind. The rain was coming down hard, but I was able to snap some shots from inside the Jeep.

When I was done taking pictures I turned to the husband and said in my best optimistic voice " Maybe we should try going back over the dune now, before it gets dark."

"Good idea" He said and I held my breath as we headed back to the dune. As we made it back up and over the top without a hitch we all let out a "Hooray!" and I sighed with relief.

We made it to town, got a movie and headed back to the RV. Bug, Husband and I played a round of "Sponge Bob Square pants LIFE" and called it a day.

The next morning there were bouts of rain and sun. We headed up the coast to watch Sea Lions in a large cave.

An elevator takes you two hundred feet down into a damp and stinky (very stinky) cave. There is a small viewing place were you look through wire fencing and down on hundreds of female Stellar Sea Lions. Bug was so excited about it all, he listened as the husband read the informative signs throughout the cave.

When we emerged from the cave the weather was beautiful.

We headed up the coast some more to a small beach with a light house on the cliffs above.

It was cold and we were tired, so after I took several pictures we headed back. Next time I'll tell you about my history with the area and the rest of our trip.


Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Your pictures are so beautiful... I especially like the cave photo... the lighting is perfect. Your son is handsome and looks like he is having such a wonderful time!!
I haven't been to the ocean for ages and maybe one day I will take a trip there... it's about a 7 hour drive from here.

I hope everything will get better. I'm sending hugs to you and your family and just know I'm thinking about you.
Lots of love...

Corey~living and loving said...

So glad to have you back. I was starting to get worried. sigh....I will be praying for you and your family. hugs.

love the beach pics. YOu got a nice variety of shots. :)
take care of YOU Autumn!

Mama Zen said...

Prayers and good thoughts for you and your family!

Love the pictures!

david mcmahon said...

Some great shots there. Hope the family emergency is sorted.