Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Black and White

I've been working on a project for the hallway in my house. I replaced the old light fixtures and put some fresh paint on the walls and ceiling. Then my plan was to edit several family photos and turn them into black and whites.



I used black spray paint on a bunch of frames I already had and put white mats in them. My idea was to put the frames up randomly and not in a pattern. Not an original idea, I've seen it done many times, but I love the look. My brain however doesn't work randomly. My brain likes to make patterns where everything lines up symmetrically. So to combat this I just started pounding in nails, grabbing a frame and putting it up. In the end I was pretty proud of my random creation. It looked really good to me.




Then this morning as I was walking down the hall I realized that even using what I thought were random movements I had created a pattern! Three rows that were not straight but rows none the less. Each row had the picture going the same direction, top row landscape, middle row portrait and bottom row landscape. I almost took them all down to put them in more random positions but I give up on random... random is over rated.



6 comments:

monstergirlee said...

Great photos!
Take a picture of your wall maybe, I'd like to see it.

That is a drawback of living in a 1918 house with plaster walls. Can't really put much on the walls without destroying them.

Corey~living and loving said...

ooooo I love the choices you posted here. I'm sure it looks GREAT! I love your effort...even if in your random craziness....there is order. :)

Michele said...

OOooo... your B&W's are fantastic!
You do such great work, Autumn!

Sarah said...

I'm new around here, but your picture-hanging extravaganza sounds EXACTLY like something that would accidentally happen at my house!

Unknown said...

Hahaha...that's an awesome story. It's your unconscious organized mind at work. But I adore your idea. I want to do the exact same thing when I reclaim my bedroom back. One wall full of black and whites in black frames w/ white mats of the girls and I, my fam, friends, etc. I'm so excited to get started on this project and your post is just the kick in the butt I needed!

Maude Lynn said...

I love the look of black and white pictures!

I couldn't hang pictures randomly if my life depended on it!