Sunday, January 20, 2008

Walking with Dinosaurs... the Live experience

When my step-son was 3 he would tell anyone who would listen "I want to be a paleontologist when I grow up"
Now twelve years later the fascination with Dinosaurs has been passed down to his little brother. Bug isn't as intensely preoccupied with Dino's as his big brother was. He has said once or twice that he would like to be a paleontologist, but that was between the times he wanted to be a surfer, rock star or an astronaut.
In any case, he still loves the dinosaurs and has sat through three hours worth of the BBC specials on The Discovery Channel, barley taking his eyes off of the screen. He would repeat every fact that he found exciting.
So when we had the chance to take him to the live experience, we jumped at it. We went with some good friends who also have a Dino fascinated youngster. He is a year and a half younger than Bug but they get along great.
I wasn't sure if camera's would be allowed so I tucked mine under my jacket just in case. When we got to our seats, it was fairly dark. As we waited for the show to begin, they had some jungle sounds playing and every once in a while there would be a roar from a dinosaur.
Bug's little friend turned to his mom and said he wanted to go home. Poor little guy was pretty scared. Bug tried to reassure him that "They are just robots, they aren't real"
Luckily when the show did start he lost his fear and enjoyed the show. Just before it started they announced that no flash photography was allowed. I turned off the flash and tried my best to get some good shots. They turned out pretty good, I tried to lighten some with photoshop, but I'm not that great at photoshop.





The "plants" were air filled and would appear and disappeared depending on the era they were discussing.

When the Stegosaurus came out Bug displayed his Dino knowledge by letting us know "It had the brain the size of a walnut." When the announcer later said the same thing Bug advised him " I already know that." Which solicited laughter from the people around us.

The Dinosaurs were amazing, their movements were so life like.

At times I wouldn't even notice the car like thing underneath them that held a person controlling their movements around the arena.

We had good seats, the only time I had wished we were in a different spot is when this next picture was taken. It was "flying", but behind it was a screen with a background that made it look like it was really moving. We couldn't get that effect being to the side of it.

Here is a shot of the "flowers".
This was Bug's favorite...




At one point Bug said "Get out of there you crazy man!" When the Tyrannosaurus was getting angry.


At the end the T-Rex made it's way around the arena, roaring at each section.
It was a really good time, it was so fun to watch the boys faces as each new Dinosaur came out. But talked through the whole thing, and hasn't stopped talking about it sense!

2 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

ooooo my friend Laura went as well. Looks fabulous. You got some great shots. I'm impressed. :)

so glad you all had a lovely time.

Have a great week.

Maude Lynn said...

I would love to take my daughter to something like this! She's dinosaur crazy, too.